Project Turtle Creek, Part 1


Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a great weekend celebrating the 4th of July. I'm not going to lie, I always struggle to get back into work mode especially after long weekends. It was so worth it though!  

If you follow me on Instagram, you may consider me a tease. I've been talking about posting before and after photos of my projects for quite a while now and have yet to show you anything. Sowwy. BUT guess what?! I'm finally revealing before and afters and my design process along the way. Starting with Project Turtle Creek... 

I'm going to begin with the living room, and I'm sorry that my before pictures are not very good. And what I mean by not very good is that it may appear to you that I have never used a camera before. Photography is definitely not a strength of mine. 

I cannot explain how excited I was to get to work on this project. After my first client meeting, I knew this was going to be a fun design opportunity. No offense to the men out there, but this project was for a single gal that wanted to take advantage of being able to make things feminine. Working in an apartment can be challenging though because there is only so much you can do as far as paint color, floors, etc. goes. Those are just things you have to work around. 

We started off by going over the pieces she wanted to keep, which were her sofa, coffee table and art.

Since the piece of art was special to her, I really wanted to make sure it was a focal point in the room. It also played a major role in determining the color scheme of the space. 

We also needed to find some sort of furniture to place below her TV...

This acrylic console table was temporarily placed under the TV knowing that something else would eventually replace it. Although we loved the acrylic table, it clearly wasn't working in that spot. She needed something heavier to the eye that would ground the TV and also hide all of her cords. 

We were originally going to go with this scheme... 

But the rug ended up being on backorder longer than our patience would allow us to wait. I'm honestly glad this happened. I went back to the drawing board and found an amazing, one of a kind, vintage rug from ABC Home, and this became the new plan...

We made a few adjustments and switched out the media console with a vintage piece from Scout Design Studio and had them lacquer it for us. You may notice that the light fixture on the first board is not on the second, and that is because we got lucky and inherited a Jonathan Adler light fixture that would do the trick. 

So here are the final results after all the planning... 

| Photos by Matt & Julie Weddings |

| Photos by Matt & Julie Weddings |

I'm so pleased with the way this room turned out. I love that it's girly, but mature at the same time. I really think it captures my client's personality and feels like a home. 

I will post about the bedroom next! Stay tuned. 

xoxo-Maddie